First Universalist Parish of Chester was organized in 1798 as the First Restoration Society of Chester, sharing a meetinghouse with the Congregationalists. When that building was destroyed by fire in 1841, the Society arranged to rebuild on the present site, in 1845, in the architectural style of Chester’s Stone Village. The Stone Village is listed in The National Register of Historic Places. In 1871, The name — First Universalist Parish of Chester — was adopted. Today, our church building houses our active community and also services at the location for private and public community events and weddings.
Weddings & Events
Our worship space and downstairs Fellowship Hall may be rented for weddings and other events. If you would like more information about our space and pricing, please feel encouraged to contact us.
Accessibility of Building and Programs
The First Universalist Parish of Chester, Vermont welcomes and affirms all people. We have supports in place to accommodate full participation in the life of our church.
- Our sanctuary, fellowship hall and religious education classrooms are handicap accessible.
- A lift provides access from the vestibule to the fellowship hall and classrooms.
- Our restroom is not fully ADA compliant.
- Large print hymnals are available for the visually impaired.
- Wire Loop technology is connected to our PA system to assist the hearing impaired.
- Service animals are welcome to attend church services and programs.
- Pastoral Care is available to all and may be arranged directly with our worship leaders.